The 2017 San Felipe Stakes at Santa Anita only has 7 horses scheduled to go the 1 1/16 miles distance but of the two Kentucky Derby Prep races on tap for tomorrow, it’s far and away a better match-up than the Tampa Derby that will run in South Florida.
G2 San Felipe Stakes
Distance: 1 1/16 miles
From the rail out, here’s a quick rundown of the entrants that will be led by the 6-5 favorite Mastery who is undefeated in three career starts for trainer Bob Baffert.
1. Term of Art – 20-1 for trainer Doug O’Neill. Two-time winner broke maiden here by a nose going 1 mile. Crushed in the BC Juvenile in next out. Lost the hood in last to earn his highest BRIS speed figure 88 and gets the rail which is winning at 27% clip. Good spot for deep ticket players.
2. Vending Machine – Started career in O’Neill’s barn but was claimed by current connections for $50K from successful maiden outing. Has won twice over the track and switches back to dirt after three alternative attempts including a loss as the favorite in the Cal Derby at Golden Gate over the fake stuff.
3. Ann Arbor Eddie – Hit the board in all 5 lifetime starts for O’Neill including three trips to the winner’s circle vs. state breds. Beaten a 1/2 length last time as the favorite over the GG synthetic in the G3 El Camino Real Derby.
4. Mastery – Undefeated in three starts for Baffert and looks the legit 6-5 favorite in here as the speed of the race. Sitting on a couple of 6f bullets but comes in off a 3 month layoff making him vulnerable if pressured.
5. Gormley – Three-time winner from 4 starts whose only loss was a 7th in the Breeders’ Cup Juvenile behind Classic Empire. Has this fields highest BRIS speed 102 in a head win on the slop going 1 mile here in the G3 Sham last time out. Listed as second choice at 9-5 but can’t see him keeping up with horse to his inside. We’ll find out what he’s made of today.
6. Iliad – Has the speed to make Mastery run faster than he needs to go all the way on the lead. Has won his last two including maiden score when sent out by Baffert two back. But was transferred to O’Neill for his G2 San Vicente win here last time out. Third place finisher Battle of Midway in that one came back to win two days ago in a two-turn OC beating heavily favored Reach the World. Here’s your winner.
Bloodhorse.com has the video replay of Battle of Midway’s victory
7. Bluegrass Envy – Maiden vs. multiple winners.
San Felipe Stakes free past performances can be found on the Brisnet trainer pps page.