Matriarc 2016 – Del Mar
The Matriarc is the WizCapper race of the day from Del Mar.
Note: Check the weather forecast for Del Mar for Sunday racing.
The Matriarc is a G1 race for fillies and mares three-years-old and up going 1 mile on the turf.
Watch the replay of the G1 Hollywood Derby won by Annals of Time who was making only the fourth start of his career for trainer Chad Brown.
Matriarc 2016 Field, Odds, Analysis
Here’s the field for the Matriarc from the rail out:
- Tiz a Kiss – 6 year-old Cal bred by Cee’s Tizzy was a winner here three back in a NW3x for OC $80k at this distance with Desormeaux. Went 1 1/4 miles two back in a G1 at Santa Anita finishing 5th, followed by a second place finish in the G2 Goldikova at 1 mile beaten 1/2 length by Zindaya. Too many 2nd’s in the books. Odds: 12 to 1
- Stays in Vegas – Classy looking 3 year-old by City Zip will be sent out by HOF Hollendorfer who is 19% at the meet. Gets new rider in Van Dyke who is 0 for 3 for trainer. Horse is 0 for 2 at Del Mar. Odds: 12 to 1
- Kitcat – Chilean bred by Scat Daddy was close early in the Breeders’ Cup Filly & Mare Turf a few weeks ago before throwing in the towel to finish 12th. Gets rider who is 0 for 49 at the meet. Has 7 lifetime wins all in Chile. Probably not as bad as it seems but chances in here are slim. Odds: 30 to 1
- Zindaya – Winner of the G2 Goldikova last time out as the even money favorite for Brown and Castellano on Breeders’ Cup weekend. Comes back to the West coast to try a G1 for the first time in her 5 year career. Distance is right, connections are right, price is right. Odds: 9 to 2
- Sobradora Inc – 4 year-old Argentinian by Include out of a Bernstein mare. Won the first four starts of her career in her native country at longer distances. Won a restricted race going 1 1/16 miles here in her first race in the states before a 5th and a 10th in the G2 Mabee and G1 Rodeo Drive, respectively. Was 5th last time out when dropping back in to restricted company. Odds: 20 to 1
- Mexican Gold – Ortiz, Jr. is back aboard this one for Brown off a win two back going 1 1/16 miles over the Saratoga inner as the favorite. Was third last time out in the G3 Athenia over the soft Belmont inner. Other two lifetime wins earned in France. Cut back in distance should help and could complete the exacta for Brown. Odds: 8 to 1
- Roca Rojo – The third in here for Brown. Was the winner of the Athenia last time out and the winner of an OC$80k at this distance at Belmont two back. Gets new rider in Geroux as Castellano sticks with second choice Zindaya. Irish bred will open as the favorite having won five of six lifetime. Odds: 7 to 2
- Nancy From Nairobi – 6th in the Goldikova last time out for Sadler. 0 for 2 at Del Mar but has two wins at the distance at Santa Anita. Was 6th in only G1 start. Odds: 12 to 1
- Decked Out – NW3L eligible. This 3 year-old by Street Boss has a ton of graded stakes tries on her chart. Only win was a G3 over a yielding turf at Santa Anita going 1 1/8 miles in April. Odds: 20 to 1
- Prize Exhibit – Won the G2 Monrovia at Santa Anita to open the year after finishing 6th in this race last year. Has been beaten by several others in here over the course of her career. Gets HOF Smith in the irons who is 0 for 9 with trainer Cassidy who is 1 for 16 at the meet. Odds: 20 to 1
- Time and Motion – Three year-old will be facing older for the first time off back-to-back wins in the G2 Lake Placid and G1 QEII at Keeneland, respectively. Cuts back in distance with Johnny V. who was aboard for all 5 lifetime wins. Only other time at 1 mile was a 5th in the Breeders’ Cup Juvenile Filly Turf at Keeneland in ’15. Track was off that day. She’s coming off career best 100 Beyer. Odds: 5 to 1
- Miss Temple City – Comes in as the favorite off a 5th place finish in the Breeders’ Cup Mile a month ago when facing open company. Before that beat the boys int he G1 Shadwell at Keeneland. The third place finisher in the BC Mile came back to win the Native Diver here last weekend. And she did beat the BC Mile winner, Tourist, in the Shadwell. High, wide and outside post position doesn’t help but her last two makes her the one to beat. Odds: 3 to 1